Ford Forums banner

EF/EL ghia manual conversion??

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  xy351gt 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this topic has been covered before, I did a search but haven't found many concrete answers.

I want to know what needs to be done to install a 5 speed into an i6 EF/EL ghia. From what I've heard, the problem lies with the high series BEM not being compatible with a ghia's ECU as there were no manual ghia's??? I just need to understand in more detail what the technicalities are as I'm having a little trouble understanding were the problem lies. Why exactly can't a manual ECU from an XR6 for example be used with the High series BEM??

My car has the tickford enhanced i6 if that makes any difference...

Thanx in advance :)

#2 ·
You mean you garage floor has the XR6 I6 :p

XR6 BEM is mid series. You'd lose a heap of functions if you put one in. The only high series manual ECU is from an EL GT 5 speed, doubt you'd ever track one down though.

Wait I just re-read what you wrote. I thought you could use any ECU with any BEM, aren't they seperate?

#3 ·
They are seperate, i think there is only one wire that links the BEM to the ECU, and thats smartlock.
BUT, if your car is EF only get EF BEM and ECU...if your car is EL then only get EL BEM and ECU, otherwise youll encounter problems with different plugs wiring setups.

(Also, if you have any EL manual ECUs or High series BEMs, let me know because i need one)

#4 ·
Ah I keep forgeting that. Steve, EL GT BEM would be useless to you anyway.

#7 ·
psycho chicken said:
Wait I just re-read what you wrote. I thought you could use any ECU with any BEM, aren't they seperate?
Well yeah that's exactly my point, I don't see why people say that you can't just use a manual ECU with a high series BEM, because they are two seperate computers. Does the BEM have anything to do with transmission function?? If it were the case that I needed a different ECU, does that mean that a ghia's ECU is different to that of a lower series? I don't see how it'd function any differently, ad therefore were the problem lies in installing a manual into a ghia?????

#9 ·
Well im running a EL Auto ecu in my manual car
What i did was:
- Join the two inhibitor switch wires at the gearbox loom directly, so the car will start. (Because in an auto the car wont start unnless its in Park)
- Add a resistor to the auto temperature wires to enable the thermofans to operate based on temperature opposed to constantly.
- Add another resister at the ecu, to trick the ecu into thinking the car is in neutral all the time.

#10 ·
Ok, how well has this worked for you?? I have heard many stories about idle problems when "tricking" the auto ecu? I would still rather put in a manual ECU, but I may use the auto ecu as a temporary fix.

BTW I was reading up another similar thread were fordfan351's bem kept dying when using a manual ecu??? How can this be possible? What can the ecu possibly do to caus the BEM to fail??

#11 ·
I dont know about '351's problem.

So far its worked alright for me. But if you can get a manual ECU get one, i want to also just for the sake of it.

#12 ·
auscarnager, did you have to pull your dash out when you swaped pedal boxes? also what type of resistors did you use?

#13 ·
only problems i've heard about with High Series BEM's and mid series ECU was in fordfan351's car, XR8 ECU and fairmont BEM, seemed to kill em :p

#14 ·
I have done this conversion

No need to change the ECU just short the wires on the inhibitor switch. Car ran fine with auto computer. make sure that you get a XR6 gear box same diff gearing as tickford Fairmont Ghia. dash needs to come out for pedal box, buy check the pedal box before putting in, as these can crack. Best car I ever owned, sold for a new BA Ghia, miss the car every day.

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.